What is the New Local Plan?
1.1 The new Stafford Borough Local Plan will replace the Plan for Stafford Borough 2011-2031 adopted in June 2014 and Part 2 of the Plan for Stafford Borough adopted in January 2017.
The preparation of the New Local Plan will consider the opportunities and challenges presenting themselves to the Borough and will guide the scale, location and nature of new development in the Borough area over the Plan period 2020-2040.
In doing so, assuming adoption of the Plan in 2022, the New Local Plan will provide a plan horizon of at least 15 years and will describe what changes will occur and how places will be shaped in the future.
1.2 The purpose of the new Local Plan is therefore several-fold. It will:
• set out a refreshed vision for the development of the Borough from 2020 - 2040;
• highlight the key issues to be addressed;
• provide objectives to guide continued growth and policies so that new development meets local needs in line with national policy set out through the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF);
• provide a strategy and policy framework for the delivery of development and the decision-making process for future planning applications in the Borough;
• identify the scale and location of development;
• describe how the development will be implemented.